The Coria Gate is one of the seven initial gates in the city wall of Plasencia. It gave access to the district of La Magdalena and the first Jewish quarter of the city, communicating externally with the tanneries and oil presses that were concentrated around the Bridge of San Lázaro.
This gate was defended on the right by a tower and on the left by the so-called quebrada de la Mota, on the land now occupied by the Parador Nacional. The tower was demolished and replaced by a modernist metal construction. The entrance arch was replaced by a wider arch at the end of the 16th century; it is decorated with a human figure that has been identified with the archangel Saint Michael, defender of the entrances to the city, although it could also be a symbol of Justice. This gate was bricked up during the Carlist Wars, as was done with other gates and shutters in the city when the war situation or urban security required it. It was reopened in 1848.
Anything to improve?